16 May 2019 Latest annual statistics show the SMSF sector continues to grow
Are you curious about the superannuation industry’s performance? The ATO has released the ninth edition of our annual statistical report on self-managed superannuation funds (SMSFs). The overview provides high-level observations and commentary on 2016-17 statistics gathered from SMSF annual returns, SMSF registrations and auditor contravention reports.
- 596,000 SMSFs holding $750 billion in assets, with more than 1.1 million SMSF members, as at 30 June 2018
- In 2016-17, the average assets of an SMSF were just over $1.2 million. This is an increase of 10% from 2016, and 27% over the last five years
- 55% of SMSFs have been established for over 10 years
- 48% of SMSFs had assets between $200,001 and $1 million. This accounts for 21% of total of SMSF assets
- The median age of SMSF members of newly established funds in 2017 was 48, compared with 59 for all SMSF members as at 30 June 2018
- At 30 June 2017, the average member balance for females had increased by 32% over the past five years, while the average balance for males increased by 25% over the same period.
You can access the infographic that shows the key figures in the report here.