In media release No 2011/23, issued 6 April 2011, the ATO announced the release of Taxation statistics 2008-09, described by the ATO as "the ATO's latest and most comprehensive statistical publication".
Highlights included the following:
- 12.3 million individuals lodged income tax returns.
- Tax agents lodged 71.2% of tax returns (8.8 million), and 18.8% (2.3 million) were lodged via etax.
- Average taxable income increased for both men and women by 4.2% and 3.6% respectively. The average taxable income was $54,949 for men and $37,268 for women.
- 762,442 companies lodged returns, a 1.3% decrease from 2007-08.
- Companies reported total income of $2,272 billion, a 0.4% increase from 2007-08.
- Companies were liable for $56.3 billion in net tax, a 2.6% decrease from 2007-08.