20 Jul 10 Legislative update
The 42nd Parliament was prorogued and the House of Representatives dissolved at 5pm on Monday 19 July 2010. A general election for the House of Representatives and half of the Senate will be held on Saturday 21 August 2010.
The Government is now in "caretaker mode". During this time, the conventions are that the Government avoids:
- making major policy decisions that are likely to commit an incoming government;
- making significant appointments; and
- entering major contracts or undertakings.
The following Bills have now lapsed and, if they are to proceed, will have to be reintroduced into Parliament after the election:
- Income Tax Rates Amendment (Research and Development) Bill 2010
- International Tax Agreements Amendment (No 2) Bill 2010
- Tax Laws Amendment (2010 Measures No 4) Bill 2010
- Tax Laws Amendment (Confidentiality of Taxpayer Information) Bill 2009
- Tax Laws Amendment (Research and Development) Bill 2010