14 Apr 1414 New IGOT Work Program
In a media release issued 10 April 2014, the Inspector-General of Taxation (IGOT), Mr Ali Noroozi, announced his new work program for improving tax administration in Australia.
The new IGOT work program consists of the following reviews:
- Review into the ATO's Taxpayers' Charter and taxpayer protections;
- Review into the ATO's approach to debt collection;
- Review into the ATO's services and support for tax practitioners; and
- Review into the ATO's conduct of employer obligation compliance activities.
Three further topics which received strong stakeholder support for inclusion in the work program were:
- the ATO's administration of the general anti-avoidance rules;
- the ATO's public consultation arrangements; and
- the ATO's information gathering activities.
The IGOT says that whilst the importance of these topics is acknowledged, it would be more effective to conduct such reviews after the ATO has bedded down certain initiatives.
The following two reviews are also in progress:
- Review into the ATO's administration of valuation matters; and
- Review of the ATO's implementation of the agreed recommendations arising out of the so-called 'U-turns' review and other IGOT reports published between August 2009 and November 2010.
For more information about the new Work Program, go here