24 Feb 12 NTLG FBT Sub-committee
Last Thursday, 16 February 2012, Greg Kent FTIA (PwC) and David Manton FTIA (E&Y) attended a meeting of the NTLG FBT Sub-committee.
At this meeting, participants discussed a number of issues, including:
- The FBT lodgment program for tax agents for the 2011-12 FBT year. Tax Agents are expected to be advised by the ATO in writing during March 2012.
- An update on the consultation process regarding Consultation Paper "Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) Reform Living-away from home benefits"..
- The recent case of Yip and FCT  AATA 785 and the ATO's views on salary sacrifice arrangements, especially given Deputy President Forgie's comments.
- The process for additions to the remote/non-remote overseas areas list on the ATO website.
- The otherwise deductible rule for business travel costs where there is an accompanying spouse.
- The ATO's FBT compliance activities, including the compliance campaign in respect of LAFHA, not-for-profits, in-house and exempt benefits and exempt cars/other vehicles.
Members who seek further detail in relation to any aspect of the above are encouraged to contact us at Tax Policy.