12 Nov 10 PAYG instalments - There must be a better wayMEMBER 340 writes:
"If the ATO is reading this, "There must be a better way".
Can we either get rid of (or improve) the PAYG instalment and integrated running account system?
We receive many calls either from the ATO, debt collectors and clients about their PAYG instalment. The issues are:
- ATO has received the payment but it is in the tax account as a credit but the integrated account is in debit.
- The client receives a refund (via their assessment) but doesn't recall the PAYG instalment not being paid.
- Debt collection agencies that can't assist only want the money & any calls to go back to the ATO.
- Some collection agencies don't have return phone numbers on their demands.
- Payment arrangements for late PAYG instalment variations, yet the intended income tax return may result in a reduced tax result or refund.