03 May 1010 Resource tax consultation panel announced
In media release No 2010/029, issued 2 May 2010, the Treasurer, Wayne Swan, announced that the Government is establishing a Resource Tax Consultation Panel to undertake targeted consultation with industry and other stakeholders regarding the proposed Resource Super Profits Tax (RSPT) that will apply from 1 July 2012.
The objectives of the Panel's discussions will be twofold:
- Communicating the design features of RSPT, especially the special features of the tax such as the rebating of existing state royalty charges; and
- Liaising with industry to find the best way of achieving the Government's policy outcomes and delivering a system that is both simple and minimises compliance costs. This will include further defining the details of the scheme and ensuring technical design issues are finalised prior to commencement.
The Panel members are:
- David Parker, Treasury Executive Director (Chair)
- Jennie Granger, Australian Taxation Office Second Commissioner
- Chris Jordan, Board Of Taxation Deputy Chair
- Greig Gailey, Business Council Of Australia Vice President
- Paul Binsted, independent corporate financial advisor.
Wider consultation will be undertaken with industry through a series of state-based workshops. The workshop dates and locations are as follows:
- Sydney: Monday 24 and Tuesday 25 May 2010
- Brisbane: Thursday 27 and Friday 28 May 2010
- Melbourne: Monday 31 May and Tuesday 1 June 2010
- Perth: Monday 7 and Tuesday 8 June 2010
- Adelaide: Wednesday 9 and Thursday 10 June 2010
For more details about the consultation process, go here