On 29 October 2012, Superannuation Laws Amendment (Capital Gains Tax Relief and Other Efficiency Measures) Bill 2012 was passed by the House of Representatives without amendment.
Introduced with the Superannuation Auditor Registration Imposition Bill 2012, the Bill amends:
- the ITAA 1997and Tax Laws Amendment (2009 Measures No 6) Act 2010 to reinstate the temporary loss relief for merging superannuation funds with certain modifications;
- the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993 and Taxation Administration Act 1953 to introduce a registration regime for auditors of self-managed superannuation funds;
- the Taxation Administration Act 1953 to expand the information required to be reported by superannuation providers to the Commissioner of Taxation;
- the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993 and Retirement Savings Accounts Act 1997 to facilitate the electronic transmission of payments and associated information between certain funds, schemes and providers by providing for a register to be kept by the Commissioner of Taxation; and
- five Acts to make technical amendments in relation to eligible superannuation entities.
The Bill now proceeds to the Senate.