Superannuation Legislation Amendment Bill 2010 received Royal Assent on 16 November 2010 as Act No 117 of 2010.
The Act amends:
- Superannuation (Unclaimed Money and Lost Members) Act 1999 and ITAA 1997 in relation to the transfer of unclaimed superannuation monies from states and territories to the Commissioner of Taxation;
- ITAA 1997 and Income Tax (Transitional Provisions) Act 1997 to provide transitional relief from income tax deductibility of total and permanent disability insurance premiums paid by superannuation funds;
- Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993 in relation to superannuation and relationship breakdowns;
- ITAA 1997 and Tax Laws Amendment (2009 Measures No 6) Act 2010 in relation to deduction notices for successor funds;
- ITAA 1997 in relation to: deductible employer contributions for former employees; excess contributions tax assessments; and treatment of untaxed elements of public sector defined benefit schemes;
- Taxation Administration Act 1953 to clarify the due date of the shortfall interest charge for excess contributions tax; and
- Superannuation (Unclaimed Money and Lost Members) Act 1999 to change references to the Immigration Secretary and Immigration Department.