22 Nov 10 Superannuation Legislation Amendment Bill 2010 receives Royal Assent
Superannuation Legislation Amendment Bill 2010 received Royal Assent on 16 November 2010 as Act No 117 of 2010.
The Act amends:
- Superannuation (Unclaimed Money and Lost Members) Act 1999 and ITAA 1997 in relation to the transfer of unclaimed superannuation monies from states and territories to the Commissioner of Taxation;
- ITAA 1997 and Income Tax (Transitional Provisions) Act 1997 to provide transitional relief from income tax deductibility of total and permanent disability insurance premiums paid by superannuation funds;
- Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993 in relation to superannuation and relationship breakdowns;
- ITAA 1997 and Tax Laws Amendment (2009 Measures No 6) Act 2010 in relation to deduction notices for successor funds;
- ITAA 1997 in relation to: deductible employer contributions for former employees; excess contributions tax assessments; and treatment of untaxed elements of public sector defined benefit schemes;
- Taxation Administration Act 1953 to clarify the due date of the shortfall interest charge for excess contributions tax; and
- Superannuation (Unclaimed Money and Lost Members) Act 1999 to change references to the Immigration Secretary and Immigration Department.