01 Apr 11 Tax Practitioners Board Consultative Forum
Tax Counsel Deepti Paton ATIA attended a meeting of the Tax Practitioners Board Consultative Forum on Thursday 31 March 2011.
At this meeting participants discussed:
- The Board’s ongoing work in relation to the approval of courses and course providers.
- Practice management issues on which tax agents would benefit from further guidance from the Board. Members that have issues on which they would like the Board to issue guidance are urged to contact us at Tax Policy.
- Continuing errors in registration applications submitted. The TPB chair noted that 95% of all applications received by the Tax Practitioners Board are incorrectly filled in some manner. We urge all members to ensure applications are filled out correctly and all relevant information is attached prior to submitting in order to speed up processing.
- The Board informed attendees that all complete applications received will now be processed within a month of receipt.
- The Board’s redesign of application forms.
- The Board informed attendees that it will begin sending letters in late April 2011 to tax agents informing them of their obligation to to be covered by professional indemnity insurance in respect of the tax agent services they provide as of 1 July 2011.
- The Board’s ongoing work in relation to the development of guidelines on CPE.
- The Board’s involvement in ongoing consultations on the regulation of tax advice provided by financial planners.