15 Jul 1111 TaxTime processing update
The ATO held a teleconference on 14 July 2011 with representatives from the professional bodies to discuss the progress of TaxTime. As regular readers of TaxVine would be aware, the purpose of the weekly teleconferences is to establish a close line of communication between the ATO, professional associations and tax agents during the peak TaxTime season. If you are experiencing difficulties with lodgements and/or refunds, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can raise them with the ATO.
Following the teleconference, the ATO provided the professional bodies with the following message:
The ATO advises that:
- The processing of current year returns is proceeding normally and volumes are starting to increase
- Refunds have been issuing as expected and are also starting to increase
- Approximately 100,000 refunds will issue Thursday 14 July - the EFT refunds will be in taxpayer’s bank accounts on 14 July but cheques will of course take a few extra days
- The ATO has concerns about the number of returns lodged that appear to contain potentially over-stated claims for credits, or fraudulent claims. Of particular concern are false payment summaries and questionable claims for spouse offsets. Some of these returns are being lodged by agents through ELS. The ATO discussed with members how agents might be encouraged to be especially vigilant about these items.
- ATPF members tip to help gauge the authenticity of a payment summary is to compare the amount of tax deducted to reported salary and wages, and to check against pre-filling reports for both 2011 and 2010 payment summary information which remains available for download.
·ATO call volumes are above those for the same period last year.
·ATO service levels remain in the mid 90% range
ATO system access:
- We acknowledge there have been intermittent issues with accessing ATO systems that require authentication of the user
- The issue is in the part of our systems that protects the ATO from malicious attacks
- We believe the cause has been isolated and a solution is being tested
The Tax Institute would like to take this opportunity to remind members of the following useful links: