05 Aug 11 TaxTime Update
Tax Counsel Tamera Lang FTIA attended the ATPF TaxTime Working Group teleconference on Thursday 4 August 2011. The ATO reported that TaxTime continues to be progressing well and no major systems problems have been experienced. We raised the issue that an agent has received a letter from the ATO advising that a pre-assessment review will take a minimum of 12 weeks to complete. The ATO has undertaken to investigate this case, and we will endeavour to keep members informed of any response we receive from them.
As a result of the Working Group teleconference, the ATO would like to pass on the following message:
The ATO advises that:
- The processing of current year returns continues normally and refunds are issuing as expected
- We currently tracking to have the highest service standard for the month of July over the past 4 years.
- For the week up 3 August, we have issued 585,000 current year refunds with a value over $1.4 billion.
- ATO service levels remain in the mid 90% range.
- Processing up to 80,000 calls a day at peak periods.
- The ATO encourages agents to remain vigilant about the potential for fraudulent or over-stated claims based on false payment summaries and questionable claims for spouse offsets. Some of these returns are being lodged by agents through ELS.
ATO system access
Previously reported intermittent issues with system access, including the portal, have been resolved. Any ongoing access issues should be reported to the ATO’s helpdesk on ph1300 139 373.