12 Aug 1111 TaxTime Working Group
Tax Counsel Tamera Lang ATIA attended the ATPF TaxTime Working Group teleconference on Wednesday 10 August 2011. As in previous weeks, the ATO has advised that TaxTime is progressing very well and no major system issues have been experienced. The ATO has noticed an increase in volume of calls relating to tax agents changing client bank account details, and this is likely to be in response to recent difficulties experienced by a third-party refund/fee processing organisation. Calls continue to be answered within the service standards.
As a result of the Working Group teleconference, the ATO would like to pass on the following message:
The ATO advises that:
- The processing of current year returns is progressing well and refunds are issuing as expected
- The volume of income tax returns lodged since 1 July is on par with last year
- The latest processing figures will be available in ATO Progress Report 6 (income tax returns since 1 July 2011) which will be released on Thursday 11 July 2011
- ATO service levels remain in the mid 90% range.
- Approximately 1.6 million calls have been handled since 1 July 2011
- The ATO continues to identify returns containing potentially fraudulent or over-stated claims. The main items attracting attention continue to be false payment summaries and questionable claims for spouse offsets and the education tax refund.