Seminar and Convention papers from all Taxation Institute events are available online to be downloaded in PDF format.
Seminar papers and presentations
The Tax Institute runs over 300 CPD seminars a year and the majority of our speakers dedicate considerable time and effort in preparing and writing papers and presentations. All papers and powerpoint presentations provided by the speakers from our seminars are available through the website individually or through a Tax Knowledge eXchange subscription.
Finding a paper or presentation
To find a paper you can either scroll through the list at the bottom of this page or use the right hand side Paper Search to refine your search criteria. Enter Keyword, State of Event and Date Range. For a more detailed search use our Advanced Search facility.
18 Sep 2019 |
Hilton Sydney, Sydney |
This event presented by leading international tax experts provided an understanding of the continuing changes in the international tax arena relating to Australia.
18 Sep 2019 |
Crown Perth, Perth |
This event covered the latest on the complexities around residency, GST, and the issues involved in death, wills and beyond.
12 Sep 2019 |
Dexus Place, Sydney |
From structuring changes to the impacts of shifting approaches to state taxes, and the eternal question of investments in SMSFs, this event cover the issues every adviser dealing with property needs to know about. Including topics on:
- economic outlook
- contemporary property structuring
- taxing property – same issues, different perspectives?
05 Sep 2019 |
RACV City Club, Melbourne |
Through endless cycles of boom and bust, the complexities of property taxes remain constant. This event heard from industry experts on commercial and residential property issues and trends.
29 Aug 2019 |
Four Seasons Hotel, Sydney |
The national superannuation conference is the premier event for tax specialists in the superannuation industry, uniquely dealing with the tax issues impacting both the large fund and self-managed superannuation fund sectors. Topics covered included:
- ATO presentation – issues for large funds
- emerging developments – large funds
- pensions and ECPI
- domestic investments
- superannuation death benefits – recent cases and thinking
- update on justified trust for super funds
- investments – what’s new?
- trends in court decisions affecting superannuation funds
- the use of equity derivatives in superannuation
- resolving and avoiding internal disputes in SMSFs
- ways superannuation funds can operationalise the tax legislation through the use of technology
- GST issues in the superannuation industry
- tips, traps and dtrategies for pension commencement
- digital disruption and the superannuation industry.
28 Aug 2019 |
Each webinar covered key tax developments arising from the previous month, exploring the most pertinent issues in-depth.
22 Aug 2019 |
Crown Perth, Perth |
This event had local and interstate speakers who presented on a range of relevant and topical issues, the convention offered the delegates a fantastic forum to keep up to date with our changing tax landscape and gain technical knowledge as well as practical and commercial insights. Some of the topics covered included:
- the current tax administration landscape – a private client
- sharing the responsibility – how the black economy and related measures affect you and your clients’ rights
- M&A and capital management: key issues to watch for
- the big issues in SMSF
- buying or selling land-rich entities
- the use of everett assignments in modern-day partnerships
- justified trust – observations to date and the future landscape.
22 Aug 2019 |
Leonda By The Yarra, Hawthorn |
This event explored art and other collectables from an investment perspective and included:
- an overview of the art market
- the characterisation of art and collectables for tax purposes
- art and collectables acquisition tax structuring issues (including SMSFs, trusts, individuals, businesses, instant asset write-off)
- tax issues upon disposal (CGT/revenue / trading stock / special rules for collectables/GST)
- practical tips to consider when gifting art to an organisation registered on the register of cultural organisations.
15 Aug 2019 |
Rendezvous Hotel, Melbourne |
This event was for practitioners across all markets that are involved in any form of tax dispute. It provided a unique opportunity to hear key insights from some of the best tax controversy practitioners and a senior ATO Deputy Commissioner. This event is also beneficial to practitioners who are seeking to work more in this area and who wish to come away with a thorough understanding of the current state of play in tax controversy.
08 Aug 2019 |
RACV City Club |
This event covers:
- residency - individuals
- residency - corporate
- cross border funding arrangements and anti-hybrids
- recent cases
- ATO focus
- transfer pricing.