Seminar and Convention papers from all Taxation Institute events are available online to be downloaded in PDF format.
Seminar papers and presentations
The Tax Institute runs over 300 CPD seminars a year and the majority of our speakers dedicate considerable time and effort in preparing and writing papers and presentations. All papers and powerpoint presentations provided by the speakers from our seminars are available through the website individually or through a Tax Knowledge eXchange subscription.
Finding a paper or presentation
To find a paper you can either scroll through the list at the bottom of this page or use the right hand side Paper Search to refine your search criteria. Enter Keyword, State of Event and Date Range. For a more detailed search use our Advanced Search facility.
28 Nov 2019 |
Fenix Events, Richmond |
By 2022, it is expected that over one million trusts will exist in Australia. The way our tax system regulates the behaviour and activities of those involved in trusts means that trusts and the taxation of trusts are complex. Uncertainty abounds for advisers, as establishing and administrating trusts also raises numerous practical and compliance issues. This event covered the following topics:
- future of trusts: the RMIT report
- trust vesting
- Division 6 sleepers: Sec 99B and 100A: what they were meant to do versus what the ATO uses them for now
- Div.152 CGT SBC and trusts: dynamite
- residency and trusts
- state taxes and trusts.
13 Nov 2019 |
Crown Perth, Burswood |
This event is aimed at tax practitioners who advise trustees, beneficiaries and others involved in operating trusts and who wish to keep up to date with recent developments relevant to the taxation of trusts.
07 Nov 2019 |
Sofitel Sydney Wentworth, Sydney |
NSW Trusts Conference forms part of our 2019 Trusts Series, introducing a streamlined approach to this important area, with the localised focus it requires.
31 Oct 2019 |
Crown Perth, Perth |
This event covered the following topics:
- CGT concessions – still great outcomes, but tighter eligibility
- positioning SMEs and individuals on their tax audits and disputes
- property ownership: important changes
- practical International tax issues for SME and high-net-worth (HNW) clients
- impact of the corporate tax rates and franking changes on the flow of dividends for 2018–19, 2019–20 and beyond.
24 Oct 2019 |
Swissotel Sydney, Sydney |
Estate planning continues to be an integral part of the dynamics of family business planning and planning in general. The Tax Institute’s 16th Annual Estate & Succession Planning Conference had an outstanding line-up of speakers covering key topical and practical estate planning and succession issues impacting practitioners and their clients.
23 Oct 2019 |
Leonda By The Yarra, Hawthorn |
This event covered the following:
- A quick recap on the structure of Division 6 of the ITAA 1936 - as it applied to income from foreign trusts
- the role of section 99B, its history and original legislative intent
- modern developments - in particular Taxation Determination TD 2017/23 and 2017/24
- are foreign trusts an endangered species?
- what to do if you have a client who is receiving money from a foreign trust?
17 Oct 2019 |
Hotel Grand Chancellor Launceston, Launceston |
The Tasmanian State Convention remains the state’s premier taxation event. Once again, we had a line-up of outstanding speakers who presented on a range of topics we consider are relevant to Tasmanian tax practitioners and provided a good understanding of the current issues.
17 Oct 2019 |
Crown Promenade, Melbourne |
This event covered topics such as Division 7A, M&A updates and current issues from the ATO. There was also plenty of sessions on topical tax issues such as residency (both corporate and individual), estate planning and divorce. International tax continues to be a key area of focus and developments, with many countries seeking to take a bigger slice of the global tax pie. On this front we had sessions on transfer pricing, the multilateral instrument and current cross-border financing issues.
10 Oct 2019 |
Perks, Parkside |
This event provided a breakdown of the draft provisions, their practical application and the impacts on back pockets.
19 Sep 2019 |
Leonda By The Yarra, Hawthorn |
This event explored the key tax issues to consider when advising foreign clients on the tax considerations of investing and establishing businesses in Australia.