Seminar and Convention papers from all Taxation Institute events are available online to be downloaded in PDF format.
Seminar papers and presentations
The Tax Institute runs over 300 CPD seminars a year and the majority of our speakers dedicate considerable time and effort in preparing and writing papers and presentations. All papers and powerpoint presentations provided by the speakers from our seminars are available through the website individually or through a Tax Knowledge eXchange subscription.
Finding a paper or presentation
To find a paper you can either scroll through the list at the bottom of this page or use the right hand side Paper Search to refine your search criteria. Enter Keyword, State of Event and Date Range. For a more detailed search use our Advanced Search facility.
01 Aug 2017 |
Adelaide Pavillion, Adelaide |
Part of the Bi-Monthly Tax Briefing Series 2017, aimed particularly at smaller practices and sole practitioners, this event had a practical focus and covered key tax developments occurring in the previous 2 months.
28 Jul 2017 |
Adelaide Convention Centre, Adelaide |
Some of the topics presented at this event included:
- SA small business and economic update
- tax considerations in funding growth
- SMSF & property
- structuring & restructuring (tax and legal)
- Division 7A – cleaning up the loans and UPE mess
- buy-sell agreements & cross insurance
- tax Losses.
20 Jul 2017 |
Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, Surfers Paradise |
It is well documented that Australia is facing a monumental intergenerational wealth transfer over the next 20 years. As a trusted adviser to their ageing clients, tax and accounting advisers are well positioned to help clients and their families deal with the administration burden caused by incapacity and death. Therefore, this event was for tax advisers who want to be prepared for one of the realities of having individual clients. There were plenty of events that are focused on broader estate planning issues.
This event was focused on the the practical things that advisers have to deal with when their clients are facing that mortal coil ... and beyond.
20 Jul 2017 |
Crown Perth, Burswood |
This event provided delegates with an understanding of the legal steps from separation through to divorce and property settlement, including discussion of the available tax concessions and how tax is dealt with by the Family Court. It covered practical insights from experienced family law practitioners to ensure you are armed with the knowledge to best assist your clients whilst also meeting your obligations.
20 Jul 2017 |
RACV City Club, Melbourne |
This full day workshop will discuss the following case studies:
- undoing the tangles: tidying up intra-group amounts
- can one size fit all? consolidation for SMEs
- CGT restructuring / rollover
- the Subdivision 328-G small business restructure roll-over
- assignment of assets, employees and debts.
06 Jul 2017 |
RACV/RACT, Hobart |
This full day case study based event unpacked a wide range of real-life challenges in tax that we encounter in day to day practice. Presented by experienced senior practitioners, it equiped delegates with practical knowledge and skills to identify and solve real problems for real clients.
29 Jun 2017 |
Leonda By The Yarra, Hawthorn |
Australian startups remain in the spotlight with the Government continuing to pass favourable tax and regulatory reforms in this space. Prime Minister Turnbull's "innovation agenda" continues to roll on. If you aren't already across the startup tax reforms for employee share schemes and tax incentives for investments in early stage innovation companies, now is the time to catch up.
This event covered:
- an update on the new tax incentives for investments in early stage innovation companies, including recent ATO consultations on some tricky technical issues and the legislative reform to fix the CGT event E4 problem
- an update on the employee share scheme tax rules for startup companies
- an overview of the proposed new measures before Parliament to implement a 'similar business test' to access losses and allow self-assessment of the effective life of certain intangible depreciating assets
- a general overview of equity based 'crowdfunding', which was recently given a boost by corporate regulatory reforms that will facilitate new activity in this space.
28 Jun 2017 |
Each webinar will covers key tax developments arising from the previous month, exploring the most pertinent issues in-depth.
27 Jun 2017 |
The tax refresher webinars are designed for practitioners looking for a quick overview of the key fundamentals, recent updates and problem areas. This webinar covered Part IVA.
13 Jun 2017 |
Crown Perth, Burswood |
This event was designed to bring practitioners up to date with the latest developments and topical issues. It was essential for practitioners who administer or provide tax advice concerning discretionary trusts.