Published on 28 May 09
by NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This paper looks at certain taxation and SIS compliance aspects of managing the treatment of benefits emerging from superannuation funds on the death of members and considers some options that could be presented to clients including:
- requirement to pay death benefits
- tax outcomes in the accumulation and pension phases
- concepts of SIS and tax dependency
- use and types of death benefit nominations
- the role of term life cover
- practical issues for the continuing control and operation of the trustee.
Hugh is a Client Director in the Tax Consulting Group at Pitcher Partners Sydney. Since joining the firm in 1984, Hugh has over 25 years’ experience in chartered accounting and specialises in superannuation, retirement planning and administration of self-managed funds. Hugh has developed relationships with lawyers, actuaries and other professional advisors to further assist and support the retirement and estate planning needs of clients. He also works closely with financial planners and is a representative for Pitcher Partners NSW Financial Services Pty Ltd.
- Current at
13 March 2017