Published on 12 Feb 04
by SOUTH AUSTRALIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This seminar paper covers the following topics:
- what roles do Accountants and Lawyers have?
- common issues with wills
- drafting a tax effective will
- identification of assets, liabilities and beneficiaries
- enduring powers of attorney, guardianship and advance medical directives
- discretionary trusts - how to transfer control and ownership, dealing with beneficial entitlement accounts and loan accounts
- asset protection issues - who are you protecting from?, creditors and testators, family law claims, family estate claims
- who should be an executor or trustee?, duties and liabilities.
This paper covers SA and WA legislation.
This paper was also presented by Mike Frampton at the Estate Planning seminar held in Perth on 20 August 2004 and by Bruce Cook at the Estate and Business Succession Planning seminar held in Melbourne on 7 October 2004.
Greg is the Chairman of the Adelaide and Darwin partnership of Minter Ellison. He practises in the areas of superannuation, taxation, trusts and commercial law, and advises generally on a wide range of commercial matters including company and business sales and acquisitions and appropriate business structures. Greg has acted for a wide variety of superannuation funds and also has extensive taxation and stamp duty expertise in all areas of commercial transactions.
Current at 1 October 2004
- Current at
19 November 2004
Matthew is the founder and Principal of MT Lawyers. He advises on all aspects of Superannuation, estate and succession law, with a specific focus on self-managed superannuation funds and complex estate planning. Prior to establishing MT Lawyers in Adelaide, Matthew had over 12 years' experience working in large commercial law firms. He was a Partner at Minter Ellison in Adelaide, heading up their Superannuation and Estate Planning division. Matthew has also lived and worked overseas in London and Hong Kong.
- Current at
21 May 2015