Published on 05 Nov 04
by NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
A specific example - debt forgiveness - what's the current state of play following the recent cases that were settled? This paper includes:
- what will constitute a debt forgiveness?
- what will not constitute a debt forgiveness? (eg. payment of commercial debt by guarantor not a debt forgiveness - TD 2004/17)
- consequences of a debt forgiveness
- the approach of the ATO including TR 2001/9
- what types of situations are most likely to be attacked by the ATO?
- unresolved issues.
Joe is a KPMG Tax Partner who has extensive experience advising on debt forgiveness and similar transactions. Joe is a member of the NSW State Council and Education Committee for the Taxation Institute.
Current at 10 September 2004 Current at 19 November 2004
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Joe LOMBARDO.