Published on 17 Aug 10
by QUEENSLAND DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This paper covers:
- differences between taxable & trust income and problems they cause - explanation and examples
- problems caused by proportionate view: recipient may not pay appropriate tax and no trust income
- ways to resolve this problem: income clause and ability of trustee/trust deed to determine what is "trust income"
- Commissioner's view and Bamford's case
- situation post Bamford: practical examples.
Michael Butler FTIA is a Partner at Finlaysons' Tax & Revenue Group. Michael advises both domestic
and foreign clients on federal, international and state tax matters, and has a special interest in property tax
issues. Michael is the author of the book "Australian Federal Company Taxation" and a regular contributor to Taxation
Institute of Australia events.
Current at 23 March 2009 Current at 15 April 2009
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Michael BUTLER.