Published on 22 Aug 13
by NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
What happens from the moment the ATO makes contact with you or your client? How do you ensure your client’s rights are protected? What do you need to be on guard against from the beginning of a review to litigation? This paper is very practical and provided by two practitioners with years of experience in dealing with the Tax Office on various issues and on behalf of a range of different client types. In particular it covers:
- determining whether an audit has actually commenced
- what are your choices once an audit has commenced?
- should you make a voluntary disclosure and the consequences of not doing so
- how should you respond to ATO position papers
- tips and best practice during the review and/or audit process
- what to do if things are stalling or not going to plan
- fact finding - what should your objectives be?
- control - managing stakeholders and the ATO.
Kevin Munro CTA
Kevin is a Solicitor and Principal of Munro Lawyers, a specialist legal practice in Sydney. He has 37 years experience in tax and superannuation, forming his own firm in 1994. Kevin’s main areas of practice are tax planning, superannuation and estate planning, and he regularly acts as a consultant for other professional firms. Kevin is active in professional education and gives lectures and workshops for various professional organisations. He is a member of the New South Wales Law Society’s Advisory Committee for Small Business Accreditation. Current at 02 June 2015
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Kevin J MUNRO.
Adrian Abbott CTA
Adrian is a consultant to Crowe Horwath, who brings 35 years of experience in accounting, tax and business management to his client base. He has focused on high net worth reviews and benchmarking. Adrian works in conjunction with the ATO on alternative dispute resolutions. Adrian is on the Institute's dispute resolutions committee. Current at 20 September 2016
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Adrian ABBOTT.
Further details about this event: