Published on 26 Jul 12
by NATIONAL DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
The mining sector can give rise to transactions that produce unexpected stamp duty outcomes. This paper looks at some of the pitfalls that can arise and the impact that the federal MRRT might have on the stamp duty regime, including:
- mining tenements - when are they interests in land?
- mining leases - how are they taxed?
- off take agreements - sales of goods?
- mining equipment - fixtures or not?
- farm-in agreements - what are the rules?
- royalty agreements - duty characterisation
- MRRT - what is the impact on duty?
Amrit is a partner in the Sydney office of Baker McKenzie where he focuses on taxation planning and advisory work. He is one of Australia’s most prominent tax lawyers and is a member of the Australian Taxation Office Public Rulings Panel and chairperson of Office of State Revenue/Taxation Institute of Australia Liaison Committee. Amrit is recognised as a leading practitioner in Asia Pacific Legal 500, Chambers Asia Pacific, International Tax Review’s World Tax, International Tax Review’s Indirect Tax Leaders Guide, International Tax Review’s Tax Controversy Leaders Guide, PLC Which Lawyer?, Tax Directors Handbook, Who’s Who Legal Corporate Tax and The Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in Australia.
- Current at
27 May 2021