Published on 28 Apr 08
by NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
Note that this paper was presented on both 28 February and 28 April at the events "Direct Gearing of Super Funds: The Instalment Warrant Revolution."
This paper covers topics such as:
- what are ‘instalment warrants'
- investment restrictions - issues to consider when a superannuation fund invests in an instalment warrant
- the prohibition against borrowing
- the legal relationships required to obtain the borrowing carve-out
- what is a ‘bare trust' relationship?
- borrowing carve-out - whether real property may be subject to an instalment warrant
- whether an investment in an instalment warrant is an ‘in-house asset'
- regulation 13.14 of the SIS Act
- superannuation fund trust deeds
- taxation implications.