Published on 11 Mar 04
by VICTORIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This seminar paper deals with the impact of the Financial Services Reform on SMSFs. This subject is particularly topical as Financial Services Reform commences on 11 March 2004.
It identifies issues that practitioners and their clients need to be aware of, including:
- does a SMSF need a Product Disclosure Statement (PDS)? - the new FSR exemption for Recognised Accountants advising on SMSFs (announced 11/2/2004)
- what are the content requirements of any PDS?
- what reporting obligations are now imposed on SMSF trustees?
- is a PDS required when commencing a pension that is paid from a SMSF?
- is a PDS required when a change of name of fund or a change of trustee occurs?
John is a Senior Associate with Maurice Blackburn Cashman Commercial, Lawyers. He has had extensive experience in advising clients on superannuation, taxation, financial services disclosure, estate planning and trust related matters. John has written a number of articles for the Taxation in Australia Journal, CCH Super News and has presented a number of seminars covering the areas of superannuation, estate planning, and taxation law. John, together with Chris Ketsakidis, are the contributing authors of the superannuation chapters of the Australian Tax Handbook.
- Current at
08 July 2013