Published on 14 Feb 06
by SOUTH AUSTRALIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
Topics covered in this paper include:
- income tax
- business or mere realization?
- pre CGT and post CGT land
- valuation and calculation
- recognising profit
- capital gains tax
- subdividing vs partitioning
- converting to community/strata title
- improvements to pre-CGT land
- CGT discount
- main residence exemption
- deceased estates
- does your client need to register for GST?
- meaning of 'enterprise' and requirements for ABN
- treatment of new vs existing residential premises, commercial residential premises and non-residential premises
- change of purpose
- partnerships and joint ventures
- distressed sales.
Michael Butler FTIA is a Partner at Finlaysons' Tax & Revenue Group. Michael advises both domestic
and foreign clients on federal, international and state tax matters, and has a special interest in property tax
issues. Michael is the author of the book "Australian Federal Company Taxation" and a regular contributor to Taxation
Institute of Australia events.
Current at 23 March 2009 Current at 15 April 2009
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Michael BUTLER.