Published on 14 Feb 06
by SOUTH AUSTRALIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
Topics covered in this paper include:
- income tax
- business or mere realization?
- pre CGT and post CGT land
- valuation and calculation
- recognising profit
- capital gains tax
- subdividing vs partitioning
- converting to community/strata title
- improvements to pre-CGT land
- CGT discount
- main residence exemption
- deceased estates
- does your client need to register for GST?
- meaning of 'enterprise' and requirements for ABN
- treatment of new vs existing residential premises, commercial residential premises and non-residential premises
- change of purpose
- partnerships and joint ventures
- distressed sales.
Michael is the Partner in charge of the Finlaysons Tax & Revenue Group. Michael advises domestic and foreign clients on federal, international and state tax matters, and has a special interest in corporate restructurings, cross-border investment, property, wine and mining taxation, trusts, and estate and succession planning. Michael is a past chair of The Tax Institute’s South Australia State Council and a regular contributor to Institute events.
- Current at
22 February 2021