Published on 28 Mar 03
by NATIONAL EVENTS, TAXATION INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIA
The commercial and tax issues which affect SMSFs continue to be one of the least understood areas by trustees and advisers alike. Using a case study approach, this seminar paper considers several SMSF investments and whether
they meet the relevant SIS requirements.
Topics covered include:
- dealing with the ATO and its current move from education to compliance
- formulation of an appropriate Investment Strategy
- sole purpose test considerations
- investment restrictions and exceptions (including lending issues, acquiring assets from members, borrowings, 'in house' assets rule)
- interaction between SMSFs and interests held in unit trusts
- Financial Services Reform Act implications.
Current at 04 June 2009
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Mark PIZZACALLA.