Published on 27 Jul 07
by NATIONAL EVENTS, TAXATION INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIA
This paper covers:
- what if the wrong entity is named in the agreement?
- how do you change the trustee or transfer property from a trustee to a beneficiary without paying excessive stamp duty where you have property in a number of jurisdictions?
- partitioning - how to get it wrong!
- multiple lodgement and payment deadlines in different States - what if I miss one?
- preliminary documents (eg letters of intent/heads of agreement/term sheets) - do I have to lodge them?
- what if the parties haven’t dated the document?
Graeme Cotterill FTIA is a Tax Partner of the Perth office of Mallesons Stephen Jaques, where he has specialised in tax law and state taxes in particular for over 20 years. Graeme is a former Chairman of the WA Division of the Taxation Institute and a previous member of State and National Technical committees.
He has presented numerous papers on State tax issues for the Taxation Institute and other organisations. Graeme was part of a specialist committee that provided consultative feedback to WA State Revenue on the drafting of the WA Duties Act.
Current at 11 July 2008