Published on 04 Mar 05
by NORTHERN TERRITORY DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
Topics covered in this paper include:
- introduction to stamp duty - when it applies, how it is calculated
- land rich companies - the threshold, the consequences
- assignment of land contracts - stamp duty consequences, 'and/or nominee', purchaser to be incorporated
- aggregation of contracts - when does it apply? What is the effect? How to avoid aggregation
- duty on leases - how it applies, exemptions.
Richard is a Territory lawyer with 23 years of experience in commercial legal practice. He is a
partner at Halfpennys Lawyers and acts for property developers and investors. He is also a
member of the Northern Territory Law Society.
Current at 24 December 2004