Published on 19 Oct 07
by THE TAX INSTITUTE
This case study set reviews the issues and strategies relevant to succession planning for high net worth taxpayers. Topics covered in these case studies include:
- Power of appointment addressed in trust deeds and in Wills
- Impact of new superannuation measures on succession planning
- The use and abuse of testmentary trusts including recent developments
- Use of options to deal with specific assets owned by companies and trusts
- Tax effective restructuring to achieve succession outcomes
- CGT and stamp duty considerations
This paper includes two case studies and solutions.
Peter is a Partner at Cowell Clarke and heads up the firm's Tax & Revenue Group. He provides specialist tax advice to public accountants and a wide range of corporate and medium to large family businesses as well as high net worth taxpayers. Peter has had a significant involvement with trust structures throughout his career and is the author on topical tax issues in CCH Tax Week and Taxation in Australia. Peter has a Master's degree in Taxation Law and is a member of The Tax Institute's State Council.
- Current at
19 June 2012