Published on 19 Oct 07
by THE TAX INSTITUTE
This case study set reviews the issues and strategies relevant to succession planning for high net worth taxpayers. Topics covered in these case studies include:
- Power of appointment addressed in trust deeds and in Wills
- Impact of new superannuation measures on succession planning
- The use and abuse of testmentary trusts including recent developments
- Use of options to deal with specific assets owned by companies and trusts
- Tax effective restructuring to achieve succession outcomes
- CGT and stamp duty considerations
This paper includes two case studies and solutions.
Peter heads Cowell Clarke's tax and revenue practice group. He advises and acts for a wide range of public and private companies as well as for the trustees of self managed superannuation funds. Peter’s areas of expertise include: income tax (as it impacts on business and high net worth clients); capital gains tax; goods and services tax; state taxes and superannuation law. Peter is regularly involved in advising SMSF trustees on issues associated with superannuation income streams. Peter is a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and the SMSF Professionals Association of Australia Ltd in addition to being a member of the Tax Institute’s South Australian State Council.
- Current at
08 October 2019