Published on 16 May 13
by NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
While building up superannuation is important to provide for a comfortable living in retirement, just as important is how you take your superannuation benefits. Understanding the options available and how best to structure payments can save money and any pain that may arise in getting it wrong.
This paper covers:
- lump sum or pension or combination
- taxation of superannuation benefits
- are reversionary pensions still useful?
- binding death benefit nominations
- timing of benefits
- latest strategies and traps to snare the unwary
- ATO view on pensions, TR 2011/D3.
Current at 13 June 2012
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Mike Mitchell.