Published on 25 Jul 13
by NATIONAL DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This paper examines the stamp duty issues that arise for a bidder in taking private (by takeover or scheme of arrangement) a listed landholder: It covers:
- structuring of bidder entity for future investment flexibility
- capitalisation of bidder entity (pre-bid and post-bid)
- determining landholder duty implications of the acquisition
- marketable securities duty implications of the acquisition
- exemptions for certain schemes of arrangement
- compliance issues, including valuation questions
- post-takeover restructures.
Peter is a Consultant to Ernst & Young. Peter has over 35 years experience advising both public and private clients on the stamp duty implications of major privatisation, infrastructure, real estate and M&A transactions. Peter is a longstanding member of the Tax Institute's Liaison Committee with the NSW Office of State Revenue and is co-author of CCH's Duties Law & Practice looseleaf service and GST and the Financial Markets.
- Current at
10 May 2013