Published on 05 Mar 13
by QUEENSLAND DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This presentation details the sometimes harsh realities of dealing with the ATO on a client’s behalf, and look at some approaches practitioners can take, tips and traps and real life case studies (edited to protect the innocent) which illustrate things that work and things that can make your professional life a whole lot more difficult than it otherwise needs to be.
This presentation includes:
- the playing field
- knowing practitioner and clients rights
- respecting the Commissioner’s powers and entitlements, and understanding his policies about how his staff should deal with taxpayers and their representatives
- theory and practice
- understanding the law
- pushing things too far
- matching the response to the risk
- managing perceptions and avoiding unnecessary tension
- things that upset the best argued technical positions
- cases studies
- first – do no harm to your client (or practice) – will the cure turn out to be worse than the original problem?
- human nature – the too hard basket
- the benefit of hindsight.
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Damian O'CONNOR.
Further details about this event: