Published on 05 Mar 13
by QUEENSLAND DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This presentation details the sometimes harsh realities of dealing with the ATO on a client’s behalf, and look at some approaches practitioners can take, tips and traps and real life case studies (edited to protect the innocent) which illustrate things that work and things that can make your professional life a whole lot more difficult than it otherwise needs to be.
This presentation includes:
- the playing field
- knowing practitioner and clients rights
- respecting the Commissioner’s powers and entitlements, and understanding his policies about how his staff should deal with taxpayers and their representatives
- theory and practice
- understanding the law
- pushing things too far
- matching the response to the risk
- managing perceptions and avoiding unnecessary tension
- things that upset the best argued technical positions
- cases studies
- first – do no harm to your client (or practice) – will the cure turn out to be worse than the original problem?
- human nature – the too hard basket
- the benefit of hindsight.
Damian is the Managing Principal of the specialist taxation firm Tax + Law. He has more than 40 years experience in tax and commercial and family legal issues in Brisbane and Melbourne. His experience includes 23 years with the Australian Taxation Office and as a tax partner of a national law firm. He is a regular presenter for The Tax Institute, professional development providers, professional associations and universities.
- Current at
12 April 2017