Published on 27 May 08
by NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This presentation considers various tax issues arising in respect of buy/sell transactions involving businesses or companies, including:
- the impact of WIP
- the sale of trading stock
- the sale of goodwill
- the sale of other intangibles - franchises, customer bases
- the sale of IP
- transfer of leave
- transfer of other provisions e.g. warranty
- the sale of shares
- exits on consolidated group including TSA and TFA
- loss integrity measures and Part IVA
- earn outs and the impact of the ruling for vendors and purchasers.
Les Szekely BA LLM FTIA first worked as a solicitor and then taught commercial and revenue law at the
University of NSW and then at Sydney University. Les joined Horwath in 1984 as a Senior Tax Manager
and became a Tax Partner in 1987. Following the recent merger between Horwath and Deloitte, Les
became Director of Taxation, Deloitte Growth Solutions. For nearly 20 years his professional career has
been dedicated entirely to tax consulting for cross border transactions, business reorganisations,
mergers and acquisitions. Les has been extensively published in CCH, Rydges, IBFD and Information
Australia on both domestic and international issues.
Current at 5 February 2009 Current at 05 February 2009
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Les SZEKELY.