Published on 13 Feb 13
by NATIONAL DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
These presentations cover:
Basel III changes:
- overview and background – concept of regulatory capital; interaction with ratings capital; Basel III changes; how much additional capital banks globally will have to raise; and what banks around the world are doing
- Basel III changes - focus on Basel III changes; capital adequacy under new APS 111; what the different categories of capital comprise of; key features to qualify as Additional Tier 1 Capital and Tier 2 Capital; deductions from capital; transitional arrangements
Topical tax issues facing banks and insurance companies about capital management:
- Tier 1 capital issues in Australia – tax implications for the issuer and security holders including the implications for the issuer arising from Basel III non-viability clauses and the application of various anti-avoidance rules
- Tier 1 capital issues undertaken by foreign branches of Australian banks – issues for the bank including the application of s 215-10
- Tier 2 capital issues in Australia – tax implications for the issuer and security holders including application of the debt/equity rules.
Tricia is the Head of Capital & Regulatory
Strategy at the Commonwealth Bank of Australia. Tricia’s team is responsible for management of the capital of the Commonwealth Bank and its subsidiaries (approximately $35 billion), as well as strategic implementation of financial regulatory reform generally. The team is also responsible for execution of all capital transactions. Tricia is a member of the Tax and Capital Management Working Group coordinated by the Australian Bankers Association.
- Current at
02 May 2013