Published on 12 Feb 04
by SOUTH AUSTRALIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This presentation covers the following topics:
- what roles do Accountants and Lawyers have?
- common issues with wills
- drafting a tax effective will
- identification of assets, liabilities and beneficiaries
- enduring powers of attorney, guardianship and advance medical directives
- discretionary trusts - how to transfer control and ownership, dealing with beneficial entitlement accounts and loan accounts
- asset protection issues - who are you protecting from?, creditors and testators, family law claims, family estate claims
- who should be an executor or trustee?, duties and liabilities.
This paper covers SA and WA legislation.
This was also presented by Mike Frampton at the Estate Planning seminar held in Perth on 20 August 2004 and by Bruce Cook at the Estate and Business Succession Planning seminar held in Melbourne on 7 October 2004.
Greg is the Chairman of the Adelaide and Darwin partnership of Minter Ellison. He practises in the areas of superannuation, taxation, trusts and commercial law, and advises generally on a wide range of commercial matters including company and business sales and acquisitions and appropriate business structures. Greg has acted for a wide variety of superannuation funds and also has extensive taxation and stamp duty expertise in all areas of commercial transactions.
Current at 1 October 2004 Current at 19 November 2004
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Greg MAY.