Published on 27 Feb 14
by NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This presentation covers:
- revisit the key concepts – capital v revenue:
- history and established precedent
- trends in cases & ATO approach
- consideration of enterprise?
- business or not?:
- trading stock issues & practicalities
- not trading stock – how does that work?
- what if I make a loss?
- practical considerations:
- moving from capital to revenue
- identifying and preserving capital gain.
Scott is a Partner at Pitcher Partners Sydney where he focuses on taxation, business, structuring and succession issues for a wide range of clients including high net worth and large private SME’s. He is closely engaged in the property industry across income tax, GST and state taxes and actively involved number of technical forums including the Property Council, Retirement Living Council and CAANZ taxation working groups. Scott does not shy away from complex issues or disputes and has a reputation for achieving commercial outcomes. He is active in The Tax Institute as former New South Wales State Chair, remaining active in State Council and the Professional Development committees. He has presented a number of papers for the TTIA and other bodies and is always willing to have a robust discussion.
- Current at
12 March 2018