Published on 26 Jul 12
by NATIONAL DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
The mining sector can give rise to transactions that produce unexpected stamp duty outcomes. This presentation looks at some of the pitfalls that can arise and the impact that the federal MRRT might have on the stamp duty regime, including:
- mining tenements - when are they interests in land?
- mining leases - how are they taxed?
- off take agreements - sale of goods?
- mining equipment - fixtures or not?
- farm-in agreements - what are the rules?
- royalty agreements - duty characterisation
- MRRT - what is the impact on duty?
Amrit MacIntyre, CTA, is a Partner at Baker & McKenzie in Sydney. He practises in indirect taxes, including stamp
duty. He was admitted to practice in 1988. He is the co-author of the CCH Australian GST Guide loose-leaf service and the
CCH Duties Law & Practice loose-leaf services. Amrit is also the co-author of GST and the Financial Markets. He Chairs The
Tax Institute/New South Wales Office of State Revenue Liaison Committee. He is also a member of the Australian Taxation Office Public Rulings Panel.
- Current at
29 June 2017