Published on 26 Jul 12
by NATIONAL DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
The mining sector can give rise to transactions that produce unexpected stamp duty outcomes. This presentation looks at some of the pitfalls that can arise and the impact that the federal MRRT might have on the stamp duty regime, including:
- mining tenements - when are they interests in land?
- mining leases - how are they taxed?
- off take agreements - sale of goods?
- mining equipment - fixtures or not?
- farm-in agreements - what are the rules?
- royalty agreements - duty characterisation
- MRRT - what is the impact on duty?
Amrit Macintyre FTIA is a Partner at Baker and McKenzie in Sydney. He practices in indirect taxes, including GST and stamp duty. He was admitted to practice in 1988. He is the co-author of the CCH GST Guide loose-leaf service and the CCH Stamp Duty loose-leaf services. He is also the co-author of “GST and the Financial Markets”. He sits on the Taxation Institute Climate Change ubcommittee
Current at 28 May 2008 Current at 26 June 2008
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Amrit MACINTYRE.