Published on 19 Jun 08
by VICTORIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
There are several issues associated with charitable organizations and charitable trusts, such as:
- how far can a charitable organization or charitable trust go in operating a business?
- can a charitable organization or trust provide technical and other services for fees?
- when does it stop being charitable?
- if business is going to be undertaken or services are going to be provided, what steps and precautions should be taken?
- for how long can a charitable organization or trust accumulate income and contributions without making distributions?
- can donors be attracted by allowing them to nominate how the money should be spent?
- how far can a charitable organization or trust go in making it attractive to donate?
This presentation address these and other related issues in the context of recent decisions, including those in FCT v Word Investments (2007) and TACT v FCT (2008).
Further details about this event: