Published on 20 Jun 06
by QUEENSLAND DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
In the current war for talent, employers are looking overseas for their recruitment of skilled labour to fill long and short term needs and many foreign nationals are seeing Australia as an attractive place to work and/or retire. This presentation looks at the tax issues individuals face when transferring or relocating to Australia either temporarily or permanently. Topics covered include:
- determining residency status for Australian and home country purposes
- the application of the double tax agreements, claiming exemptions and foreign tax credits
- taxation of personal income, capital gains, overseas investments and foreign currency transactions
- Medicare and Australian “social security” such as FTB, baby bonus
- Australian superannuation and foreign superannuation funds
- impact of type of visa and an application for permanent residency/citizenship
- repatriation or retirement?
Belinda is a Director at KPMG working in the International Executive Services Group of the Tax Division. In her current and previous roles, Belinda has had significant experience in both client facing roles as well as practice support roles and has worked in both accounting and law firms. In her previous role as a practice manager in a top tier law firm, Belinda gained extensive experience in the hands-on running of a practice. In her client facing roles in Big 4 accounting firms, Belinda faced the demands of running a successful practice, whilst balancing the demands of her clients as well as the demands of juggling family life.
- Current at
14 August 2014
Danielle specialises in advising on taxation and human resource issues for corporates and their employees. She is a Senior Manager in the PricewaterhouseCoopers International Assignment Solutions group in Brisbane. Danielle has more than 12 years experience in providing advice to clients in respect of the components of tax structuring for expatriates and the elements required in preparing effective expatriate policies. Danielle has also worked in the PricewaterhouseCoopers Learning and Education team preparing and delivering internal training programs. Danielle has had extensive experience in speaking at
PricewaterhouseCoopers external client events.
- Current at
23 November 2010