Published on 22 Jul 03
by NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This presentation covers the following issues:
- why is the balanced portfolio exemption the focus of foreign investment fund (FIF) reform?
- why are superannuation entities getting a carve out from FIF?
- the FIF exemption for funds management activities
- Australia as a global centre for funds management
- should we now be using different structures?
Michael is Head of Tax at MLC, National Australia Bank's Wealth Management Division. Prior to joining MLC in 2002 he spent eight years at BT Financial Group where he was Chief Tax Counsel. He is Chairman of the Investment and Financial Services Association's Tax Working Group, Chairman of its Product Rationalisation Group and a member of their Economic, Savings and Tax Committee. Michael has been a key participant in the recent discussions with APRA, ASIC and the Treasury concerning product rationalisation.
- Current at
12 January 2017