Published on 20 Oct 13
by QUEENSLAND DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This paper covers:
- what exactly are dividend access shares?
- what are the benefits of using them?
- what are the issues: overview of value shifting, dividend streaming, debt/equity and Division 152
- what is dividend stripping – first and second limbs
- the Commissioner’s objectives in issuing the draft determination
- what circumstances, combined with the use of dividend access shares, could result in a dividend strip?
- what are the defences when confronted with dividend stripping in an ATO position paper?
John was admitted as a Solicitor in 2002 and is a partner at McCullough Robertson. He has experience in the areas of taxation, trusts and estate and succession planning. John has a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Laws and Masters of Law. He is currently Queensland’s representative on the Institute’s National Professional Development Committee, a member of Queensland’s State Council and a member of the Law Council of Australia in the Business Law Section.
- Current at
04 March 2016