Published on 17 May 12
by NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This presentation covers:
- the role of the Ombudsman in taxation matters
- the powers and limitations of Ombudsman investigations into taxation matters
- discussion on the Ombudsman’s discretion to investigate complaints and matters which might be of interest
- examples of the types cases which the Ombudsman might be able to assist and advice on how to approach the Ombudsman’s office with a complaint
- some examples of cases where an Ombudsman investigation of a complaint has resulted in improvements to the ATO’s administrative practices or resulted in a remedy for the taxpayer.
Simon is the Acting Director of the Tax team at the Commonwealth Ombudsman. He has worked for the Ombudsman for seven years and during that time has been involved in investigating aspects of immigration detention and complaints about Centrelink. Prior to working for the Ombudsman Simon worked in the complaints area for a domestic insurer.
- Current at
31 July 2012