Published on 01 Mar 07
by SOUTH AUSTRALIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This presentation focusses on common transactions involving real property and trusts. A case study approach is adopted and concentrates on discretionary trusts and unit trusts as well as the concessions which frequently apply to trusts. Confusion often arises where related parties seek to contribute to or to access value from a trust. There can also be tensions with income tax issues and effective advice requires attention to all issues. The presentation addresses the following matters specifically:
- capitalising and redeeming interests in unit trusts
- how to introduce and remove beneficiaries
- deed amendments and trust resettlements
- current status of trust cloning and splitting
- practical issues with accessing concessions for distributions from family trusts
- concession for change of trustee
- jurisdictional issues (eg. when is your trust not subject to duty in SA).
Paul Tanti is a Partner in the Thomson Geer Lawyers tax team and has a wide range of experience in providing taxation and commercial advice to a variety of clients. Paul also advises a number of legal and accounting firms on all areas of federal and state taxation law and related commercial matters.
- Current at
17 January 2017