Published on 01 Aug 13
by NATIONAL DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This paper looks at the self-assessment process from a duties and payroll tax perspective, and covers issues faced by practitioners and revenue offices. Specific issues covered include:??
- processes in jurisdictions where self-assessment is imposed??
- the availability of binding public rulings??
- the availability of binding private rulings
- ??the question of whether a return is an assessment and the corresponding implications for objections, refunds and audits
- ??the audit of self-assessors by the Commissioner and who is liable for non-compliance detected on audit??
- the five year re-assessment limitation rule – when and how does it apply in a self-assessment regime???
- suggested reforms.