Published on 08 Aug 12
by SOUTH AUSTRALIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This presentation reviews the latest issues arising in SMSF structuring and restructuring transactions with a focus on business real property. Practical case studies will be provided to highlight the various technical issues as well as the pitfalls and opportunities of a variety of SMSF strategies.
Topics covered include:
- the use and abuse of special purpose unit trusts/companies (reg. 13.22C)
- application of non-arm's length income provisions when private companies pay dividends to SMSFs
- update on Limited Recourse Borrowing Arrangements and finalised SMSFR 2012/11
- the use of geared unit trusts without infringing the in-house asset rule
- in specie distributions from SMSFs - tax and stamp duty issues.
Peter is a Partner at Cowell Clarke and heads up the firm's Tax & Revenue Group. He provides specialist tax advice to public accountants and a wide range of corporate and medium to large family businesses as well as high net worth taxpayers. Peter has had a significant involvement with trust structures throughout his career and is the author on topical tax issues in CCH Tax Week and Taxation in Australia. Peter has a Master's degree in Taxation Law and is a member of The Tax Institute's State Council.
- Current at
19 June 2012