Published on 08 Aug 12
by SOUTH AUSTRALIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This presentation reviews the latest issues arising in SMSF structuring and restructuring transactions with a focus on business real property. Practical case studies will be provided to highlight the various technical issues as well as the pitfalls and opportunities of a variety of SMSF strategies.
Topics covered include:
- the use and abuse of special purpose unit trusts/companies (reg. 13.22C)
- application of non-arm's length income provisions when private companies pay dividends to SMSFs
- update on Limited Recourse Borrowing Arrangements and finalised SMSFR 2012/11
- the use of geared unit trusts without infringing the in-house asset rule
- in specie distributions from SMSFs - tax and stamp duty issues.
Peter Slegers, LLB (Hons), MTax, CTA
Peter heads Cowell Clarke's tax and revenue practice group. Peter advises and acts for a wide range of public and private companies as well as for the trustees of self managed superannuation funds.
Peter’s areas of expertise include: income tax (as it impacts on business and high net worth clients); capital gains tax; goods and services tax; state taxes and superannuation law. Peter also does succession planning work and is involved in significant business restructures.
Peter is regularly involved in advising SMSF trustees on issues associated with superannuation income streams.
Peter has a master’s degree in taxation from the University of NSW – ATAX School. Peter is also a member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and the SMSF Professionals Association of Australia Ltd.
Peter is a member of the Tax Institute’s South Australian State Council.
- Current at
19 July 2017