Trusts : Vesting, “ruling from the grave”, splitting, cloning, umbrella & master trusts, and more! presentation
Published on 08 Nov 18
by WESTERN AUSTRALIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This presentation covers:
- why trusts can’t last forever—“rule against perpetuities” (RAP)
- what happens when trust reaches vesting day & vests?
- can you extend vesting day of a trust?
- what if vesting day has already passed?
- can testator or settlor “rule from grave” using SA perpetual trust?
- can estate planning objectives be achieved by cloning & splitting?
- can estate planning objectives be better achieved by umbrella or master trusts?
Michael Butler FTIA is a Partner at Finlaysons' Tax & Revenue Group. Michael advises both domestic
and foreign clients on federal, international and state tax matters, and has a special interest in property tax
issues. Michael is the author of the book "Australian Federal Company Taxation" and a regular contributor to Taxation
Institute of Australia events.
Current at 23 March 2009