Membership to The Tax Institute is open to anyone who, through the course of their profession have interest in the issues in taxation. There are two types of membership, voting and non-voting.
Voting Members are entitled to vote on issues of The Tax Institute and is the required level of membership to satisfy the requirements as a Recognised Tax Agent Association for a tax financial adviser. As a voting member you can display your post-nominals as a commitment to Continued Professional Development. There are three categories of voting membership.
Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA)
The Chartered Tax Adviser designation is an internationally recognised and respected mark of technical excellence and professional integrity and represents the pinnacle of the profession. Members who become a Chartered Tax Adviser can use the internationally recognised post-nominal CTA.
Chartered Tax Advisers are required to complete a minimum of 30 hours structured tax related CPD per annum.
Membership as a Fellow is for experienced, qualified tax professionals. Members who become a Fellow can use the post-nominal FTI.
Fellow Members are required to complete a minimum of 30 hours tax related CPD per annum made up of 50% unstructured (15 hours) and 50% structured (15 hours).
Membership as an Associate is for qualified tax professionals or other professionals with relevant tax experience. Members who become an Associate can use the post-nominal ATI.
Associate Members are required to complete a minimum of 30 hours tax related CPD per annum made up of 50% unstructured (15 hours) and 50% structured (15 hours).
Non-voting Members get the benefits of membership and are not required to meet any Continued Professional Development obligations. As there is no commitment to CPD, this level of membership does not meet the requirements as a Recognised Tax Agent Association for a tax financial adviser. There is one category of non-voting membership.
Membership as an Affiliate is for those involved in taxation who do not meet the requirements of voting membership, or who do not wish to participate in CPD.
Requirements for Membership
Below are the requirements to be approved as a Member of the The Tax Institute. To maintain your CTA, Fellow or Associate Membership there is a Continued Professional Development requirement.
All members must prove that they are of good fame, integrity and character.
Core voting member criteria
To be eligible as a voting member you must satisfy one or more of the following criteria:
- Hold a degree or postgraduate award from an Australian tertiary institution or an equivalent institution in the discipline of accounting; or
- Hold a diploma or higher award from an Australian registered training organisation (RTO) or equivalent institution in the discipline of accounting; or
- Have completed the academic qualifications required to be an Australian legal practitioner; or
- Registered as a tax agent; or
- A registered tax agent or nominee immediately before 1 March 2010 and a voting member of a recognised professional association immediately before 1 March 2010; or
- Have the equivalent of 8 years' full time experience in providing tax agent services in the past 10 years.
Chartered Tax Adviser
- Meets the core voting membership criteria (as stated above); and
- Meets the Fellow membership criteria (as stated below); and
- Has successfully passed The Tax Institute's CTA3 Advisory Exam assessment.
- Passed CTA1, CTA2A and CTA2B or the Institutes recognised equivalent;
- Has a Master of Tax or an Institute recognised equivalent Masters qualification;
- Completion of Graduate Diploma from an accredited provider can be equivalent.
At least one-year relevant tax experience, plus one of the following:
- Passed CTA1 or the Institutes recognised equivalent;
- a member of CAANZ, CPA, IPA, Barrister or Solicitor;
- voting member of another Registered Tax Agent Association.
A minimum eight years’ fulltime relevant tax experience in the last 10 years.
Requirements under the Tax Agent Services Act 2009
All voting members who are in public practice must maintain professional indemnity insurance that meets the requirements of the Tax Practitioners Board. The Tax Practitioners Board’s requirements for the maintenance of professional indemnity insurance for registered tax and BAS agents may be found here
Code of Conduct
Voting All members must also abide by the professional and ethical principles of the Code of Professional Conduct for Tax Agents as set out by the Tax Practitioners Board.
The Code of Professional Conduct can be found here
To be eligible as an Affiliate Member you must satisfy one or more of the following criteria:
- Has successfully passed The Tax Institute's CTA1 Foundations or an equivalent qualification from an Institute accredited education provider; or
- Would otherwise qualify for admission as an Associate member but does not have any relevant Australian experience; or
- Is enrolled in The Tax Institute's CTA2A Advanced course; or
- Is employed by the commonwealth or state revenue authority engaged in taxation practice or administration; or
- Has an interest in the affairs of The Tax Institute who National Council resolves to admit as an Affiliate.