Publication date: 24 Oct 12 |
Source: THE TAX INSTITUTE
Wednesday 24 October 2012: The Tax Institute farewells outgoing Tax Commissioner Michael D'Ascenzo AO and congratulates him on his new appointment at the Foreign Investment Review Board.
"We thank him for his many years of distinguished service which have ensured sound tax administration. Under Michael's leadership, the ATO has built upon its record of excellence, which is recognised both in Australia and overseas,” said The Tax Institute’s CEO Noel Rowland.
"Significant programs and initiatives driven under Michael's stewardship have greatly benefitted the tax profession and broader taxpayer community.”
Of note are:
- the ATO's significant commitment to collaborating with the tax profession through a multitude of consultative fora;
- implementation of the risk differentiation framework approach to compliance activities allowing compliant taxpayers greater certainty; and
- proactive engagement in the tax law design process as part of tripartite consultation arrangements.
Such changes have positively influenced the tax professional and taxpayer experience.
“We wish Michael all the best in his new role,” Mr Rowland said.
The Tax Institute is the country’s leading professional association in tax. Its 13,000 members include tax agents, accountants and lawyers as well as tax practitioners in corporations, government and academia. The Tax Institute supports the tax profession and its members by holding more than 350 tax events each year. It conducts educational courses, develops publications, maintains an online information resource and provides a comprehensive tax library and research service. It works to continually improve tax law and its administration.
- Deepti Paton, Tax Counsel, The Tax Institute: 0405 286 598
- Dylan Malloch, Sefiani Communications Group: 0407 620 613