Demonstrate your leadership and expertise
Take the challenge. Demonstrate your leadership, as you discuss and debate high-level tax planning and advisory issues with other tax experts. CTA3 Advisory will build your confidence by addressing real-life case studies - and ultimately leads to the sought-after global CTA designation.
Tax advice and planning is rarely black and white. Tax leaders have to deal with unfamiliar contexts, and unfamiliar problems. To be the best, you have to innovate, think on your feet, and synthesise large amounts of information.
CTA3 Advisory recreates those situations through case studies and teaches by providing debate around areas such as capital gains tax, trusts, international tax, fringe benefits tax, corporate tax and more. It mirrors the skills used by successful tax planners to help you develop high-level practical skills and confidence.
Those who go on to successfully take the CTA3 Exam will satisfy the educational requirements to the globally-recognised CTA designation.
Attain the prestigious Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) designation
Available via assessment-only CTA3 Advisory Exam
Provides an exemption into the Graduate Diploma of Applied Tax Law
Request an Information pack
Fill in your details below to receive a free comprehensive pack via email containing program and single subject overviews, schedules, and key information to get started on your journey to tax leadership.
"The CTA2 demonstrates a keen interest in tax and that’s what employers look for."
Tony Underhill, CTA, Principal - Tax, Grant Thornton Australia
“[The Tax Institute] teaches not only theory, but also emphasises application, in contexts encountered by practitioners on a day-to-day basis.”
Nicholas Trotter, FTI, Consultant, Griffith Hack
"I took a career break to care for my children. On return, the CTA2 equipped me to work at my previous level as a CA."
Caroline Mate, CTA, Client Manager, Manser Tierney & Johnston
“The weekly webinars and on line study format made it possible to combine the course work and full time work.”
Wendy Miller, FTI, Special Counsel, Damien Greer
"If you’re serious about tax, I’d strongly encourage you to do the CTA2."
Jay Smith, Consultant, Latitude Business Solutions
“The Tax Institute provides you with skills to succeed in the workforce.”
Angel Zhang, Graduate Tax Accountant, Grant Thornton
"The CTA1 balances technical material and practical application, bridging academia with the practice of tax law."
Rachel Vijayaraj, ATI, Associate, Brown Wright Stein Lawyers
“The Tax Institute program is flexible and features industry-specific information relative to the needs of accountants and tax professionals.”
Natalie Moore, , WMS Chartered Accountants
“The issues which candidates are exposed to are delivered in a straightforward way and mirror real life issues which candidates will face on a day to day basis.”
Patrick Catena, FTI, Accountant, CTA2A lecturer
“Completion of Graduate Diploma of Applied Tax Law has provided me with skills and up to date knowledge beneficial to my return to tax accounting.”
Margaret Hill, Tax Accountant, Collier Tax & Accounting
CTA3 Advisory immerses professionals in the real-life problem solving situations (across different tax specialisations) presented through in-depth case study discussion sessions.
Who is this for?
- corporate advisory professional
- divisional or senior tax manager
- investment banker or structured finance consultant
- partner or senior associate lawyer
- reaching the Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) designation
- senior lecturer or professor
- tax counsel
- tax director or head of tax
- 1. hold current membership of The Tax Institute1
- 2. have completed CTA1 Foundations, CTA2A Advanced and CTA2B Advanced subjects, or an equivalent qualification from The Tax Institute’s accredited education provider register
- 3. meet English language requirements if the language of instruction for your 6 years of high school qualifications was not English.
- 4. have at least 36 months’ relevant Australian tax or tax law experience
1. [A discounted membership is available at the time of enrolment for all new members. Membership fees attract GST. Membership will expire on 30 June. Find out more about membership benefits and resources]
On completion of CTA3 Advisory you will be able to, but not limited to, determine and evaluate alternative available tax strategies with more complicated tax issues and advise on a range of complex high-net-worth individual, partnership, trust, superannuation fund, business and company issues.
- capital gains tax
- international tax
- fringe benefits tax and employment taxes
- corporate tax
- goods and services tax
Modes of study
Face-to-face study allows candidates to attend lectures once a fortnight at CBD venues in mainland capital cities, and some regional locations (subject to minimum numbers).
Distance study utilises group web/teleconference tutorials every 2-3 weeks.
Assessment-only study allows candidates to accelerate their studies by progressing directly to the assessments for the subject based on prior study, qualifications and experience. Candidates will only receive access to past exam papers and online checkpoint tests prior to the exam.
Resources made available to a candidate (excluding assessment-only study) are:
- access to an online learning portal
- study materials (hard and soft copy)
- access to Legal Research and Reasoning Course
- complimentary subscription to The Tax Institute’s Tax Knowledge eXchange for the duration of the subject
- recorded webinars
- past exam papers (where applicable)
- email access to the subject convenor for technical questions
- access to a Tax Research session to build research skills
- access to effective business writing skills module
- support from trained subject coordinators.
|Assessment task||Pass mark||Weighting|
Please note that all assessment tasks must be passed in order to complete the subject.
Tax profession and employer
The Tax Institute is a not-for profit membership-based organisation which has been supporting and educating the tax profession for over 70 years. With over 12,000 members ranging from graduates to tax experts in the Big 4, mid-tier and SME firms, The Tax Institute is known as Australia’s leading educator and professional association in tax.
All subjects are designed and delivered by leaders in the tax field, providing candidates with flexible and applicable knowledge which can be used immediately in the workforce. As a higher education provider, our subjects hold recognition with other learning institutes, the Tax Practitioners Board, and other accounting and international bodies.
1. [Prices are per subject.]
2.[To enrol in an education subject it is a requirement to become a member of The Tax Institute. All new members will receive Affiliate membership valued at $454.00 upon enrolment (Fellow membership required for CTA3 Advisory) until June 30 in the subsequent calendar year. You are also eligible to upgrade to voting membership valued at $649.00 for no additional cost if you meet the required membership eligibility criteria. Attracts GST, price quoted is GST inclusive.]
3. [Subjects accredited within the Graduate Diploma do not attract GST.]