A common investment strategy pursued by many trustees of SMSFs is to invest in property. However, before implementing such a strategy, trustees need to properly consider the numerous complex issues that may arise including how to structure such investments. Phil Broderick addresses such issues including the following:
- Expanding the membership of an SMSF to up to six members to fund the property acquisition or pay the death benefits
- Investing in related and unrelated private companies and unit trusts
- Latest developments with LRBAs
- Related party loans to SMSFs and the NALI provisions
- How to structure the payment of death benefits
- GST issues with property development.